Goals For Work
What are Goals For Work?
Goals for Work are activities in which workers collaborate to achieve a common goal.
Goals for Work activities help managers understand, facilitate, and monitor the connections between individual activities and goals. They set the stage for achieving organizational and unit goals.
Goals for Work activities focus work on specific tasks, objectives, and results. Goals for Work activities help managers monitor and control work activities. When managers use Goals for Work activities, they ensure that activities are well organized and that the results are aligned with results-oriented goals.
Goal setting steps:
1. Thinking about the target.
2. Breaking the target into smaller goals.
3. Using the SMART method to create attainable goals.
4. Create some short term positive goals.
5. Set prioroties
6. Keep track of progress.
7. Rewarding accomplishments
Goal setting S.M.A.R.T. technique:
A good way to create constructive goals is to use the S.M.A.R.T. technique.
• Specific: clearly states what is to be achieved.
• Measurable: can be quantitatively determined or observed.
• Achievable: within reach given the role and responsibilities.
• Results-oriented: indicating what action is to be performed.
• Time-bound: including a deadline for completion.
Benefits of goal setting:
• Defines priorities
• Establishs direction
• Identifies expected results
• Enhances teamwork
• Improves individual performance
• Clarifies expectations
• Connects individual contributions to the overall success of the university
Setting goals is necessary for any type of work or activity that you want to see results from. Having goals gives you a sense of purpose and something to strive for. Without goals, your work will likely be less productive and you may not see the progress that you desire.
Creating goals also allows you to track your progress over time. This is beneficial in seeing how far you have come and what still needs to be accomplished. Additionally, it can help to keep you motivated as you see your goals being met.