A bereavement counselor is a type of professional who specializes in helping people who are grieving.
Bereavement counselors work with clients either one-on-one or in a group setting.
Some bereavement counselors have training in grief counseling and bereavement management, while others demonstrate expertise working with people who have experienced loss.
Bereavement counselors help clients cope with their grief in the following ways:
- Providing emotional support and listening
- Helping people identify their emotions and feelings
- Providing information about how grief affects clients
- Teaching clients about the meanings of loss
- Providing information about coping strategies