Chief of Police Job Description
chief of police job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Chief of Police Job Description
The Chief of Police is the top-ranking law enforcement officer for a community.
The Chief of Police is appointed by the local government, which is responsible for police and public safety.
The Chief of Police is in charge of overseeing the daily operations of the police department, hiring and training new police officers, and directing investigations.
Further, the Chief of Police is responsible for making recommendations to the mayor and city council regarding police policy and procedures.
The Chief of Police also prepares and submits a report to the mayor and city council on police activity.
The Chief of Police is responsible for maintaining a positive working relationship with other law enforcement agencies, including other police departments, sheriff’s departments, and state and federal police agencies.
We’re looking for a Chief of Police to lead our department and keep our community safe.
Chief of Police Duties:
- Supervise all personnel in the police division
- Oversee the development and review of police policies and procedures
- Direct the development and implementation of all police training programs, as well as any other investigative or operational functions
- Supervise and control the day-to-day operations of the department
- Be responsible for conducting all criminal investigations, ensuring the safety of officers, and upholding and maintaining law and order
- Enforce all city, state, and federal laws
- Participate in reviewing and evaluating the department’s policies and procedures
- Conduct special studies, investigations, or audits
- Present reports to the city council
- Prepare and submit reports on all law enforcement activities
Chief of Police Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and standards for vehicle and crime prevention; patrol and apprehension of offenders; and court and ordinance enforcement
- Plan, organize, and direct the operations of the police and fire departments; oversee emergency response to incidents and ensure safety and proper use of emergency equipment and resources
- Protect life and property, and prosecute criminal offenders
- Oversee crime statistics, investigations, and forensics, including identification, interviewing, and acquisition and analysis of evidence and testimony
- Expedite arrests and prosecution of offenders
- Review and develop policies and procedures for substance abuse testing and treatment; develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders in the community
- Develop and oversee plans for community crime prevention, including educational programs and public information campaigns
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college (law enforcement, public administration, criminal justice, or a related field)
- At least 7 years’ law enforcement experience (4+ years as a Captain or Lieutenant)
- Previous experience as a police chief
- Understanding of consent decree
We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive team at [Company Name]. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals.