City Planner Job Description
city planner job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
City Planner Job Description
A city planner is someone who sets policies and determines how a city should be planned and laid out.
He or she also determines how a city should grow and develop.
We’re looking for a City Planner who can help us shape the future of our city. As our population grows, we need someone who can help us plan for the future and make sure that our city remains a great place to live. If you have experience in city planning and want to help us make our city even better, we want to hear from you!
City Planner Duties:
- Assist in the development and implementation of town’s comprehensive plan
- Promote land use and zoning regulations and policies
- Prepare and implement urban renewal projects, including development regulation, market analysis, and incentive programs
- Develop and implement comprehensive plans for housing, land use, and economic development
- Promote the effectiveness of land use and zoning regulations by staying abreast of all relevant developments and issues
- Maintain compliance with all local, state, and federal laws
- Participate in the design, implementing, and updating of zoning ordinances
- Manage public input and responses to municipal planning efforts
- Conduct community outreach and education programs
- Perform related duties as required
City Planner Responsibilities:
- Research zoning, land use, and environmental regulations to identify potential issues and propose solutions
- Help determine appropriate zoning, land use, and parking regulations to maximize building revenue, decrease operating cost, and improve customer appeal
- Identify and resolve land use conflicts and negotiate contracts
- Prepare presentations and reports, including zoning, land use, and traffic studies
- Provide guidance to developers on building permits and regulations
- Perform research and prepare reports regarding proposed development
- Conduct market analysis to identify demographic trends, population changes, and housing needs
- Plan, coordinate, and lead public and stakeholder communications
- Manage budgets
- Provide legal advice and representation
- Assist collections
- Manage vendor contracts
- Oversee parking solutions
- Ensure projects adhere to deadlines and project budgets
- Oversee hiring and retention of staff
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, urban planning engineering, geography or related field
- 2+ years experience in land use planning or development
- Knowledge of land use regulations, zoning, and permitting requirements
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of standard computer software programs
At [Company Name], we believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to building a strong team. We are committed to equal opportunity and encourage applications from all people, regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or age. We also value the unique perspectives and experiences of veterans and individuals with disabilities.