Editor Job Description
editor job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Editor Job Description
An editor is a person employed by newspapers, magazines, or journals who edits articles prior to publication.
Editors are responsible for correcting spelling and grammatical errors, as well as polishing articles and correcting any factual errors.
A copy editor, on the other hand, is responsible for correcting spelling and grammatical errors, but will not direct writers on stories.
An editorial writer, or feature writer, will write stories that do not have a specific subject, or they do not have a clear beginning and end.
A feature writer will write stories that have a beginning, middle, and end.
We’re looking for an Editor to help us improve our website. We need someone who is detail-oriented and has a good eye for grammar and style. If you have a passion for writing and editing, we want to hear from you!
- Provide editorial direction, oversight, and quality control for assigned projects
- Read, analyze, and revise copy, as well as write all copy necessary to meet operational needs
- Ensure continuity and accuracy of materials
- Track project progress, monitor workload, and meet deadlines
- Update information, such as product prices, vendor contact information, etc.
- Meet with clients and vendors to discuss projects, set deadlines, and review progress
- Develop and maintain databases of client and vendor information
- Learn and use new technologies as necessary to facilitate work
- Be proficient with word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and other software used for editing
- Create and maintain master ceremony scripts, including rehearsals
- Create and maintain master script and cue book for special events
- Write press releases and other marketing materials
- Create and manage content within social media sites
- Develop websites and maintain them
- Review and proofread articles and posts for grammatical, spelling, factual, and style errors, correcting them and assigning or re-arranging content to optimize flow, clarity, and consistency
- Develop and implement editing guidelines and style sheets, determining how much editing is to be done
- Write and edit editorial content for business client websites, blogs, and social media
- Develop relationships with clients: develop content plans, meet deadlines, and adhere to brand guidelines
- Manage workflow of assigned projects, coordinating editing with other team members
- Continuously develop and hone editing skills to improve accuracy, clarity, and consistency
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, or related field
- 5+ years’ proven editing experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and on multiple projects at once
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and
We at Company Name are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.