GIS Technician Job Description
gis technician job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
GIS Technician Job Description
A GIS (Geographic Information System) technician is a type of geospatial professional who uses computers to manage, create, update, analyze, and visualize geospatial data.
GIS technicians typically possess an associate’s degree in technical or applied sciences.
But become increasingly common, GIS technicians are earning bachelor’s degrees in geography, cartography, or geographic information systems.
Completing a GIS technician training program may be another option, but most GIS technicians hold a technical associate’s or bachelor’s degree in geospatial technology, geography, cartography, computer sciences, or a related field.
GIS technicians use a variety of computer software
We are looking for a GIS Technician to work with us in order to help us better understand and utilize Geographic Information Systems technology. The ideal candidate for this position will have experience working with GIS software and hardware, as well as a strong desire to learn and grow in their knowledge of this field. If you are interested in becoming a part of our team and helping us to improve our use of GIS technology, please submit your resume and cover letter today.
GIS Technician Duties:
- Specialize in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology
- Collaborate with co-workers, vendors, and clients to discuss, design, and plan the implementation of GIS solutions
- Conduct research in GIS data using in-house databases, remote sources, and databases provided by vendors and clients
- Research, document, analyze, and recommend geospatial requirements to various clients
- Evaluate and install geospatial technologies, including equipment, software, and web-based applications
- Decide cause-and-effect relationships, and suggest appropriate courses of action based on analytical results
- Documenting findings in a clear and concise manner
- Provide support with database and application administration
- Perform data and document management
- Perform client support
GIS Technician Responsibilities:
- Use mapping, GPS, and aerial imagery, and incorporate it into construction plans and reports
- Use and analyze GIS and GPS data to create detailed maps, site plans, and site profiles
- Maintain and update SOW and preconstruction documents, and monitor contract obligations with a goal of building relationships with reliable contractors and vendors
- Create, update, and analyze database management
- Track budget reviews and report cost plans to upper management
- Implement GIS and GPS data capture and data collection tools, and troubleshoot any issues
- Perform administrative and technical duties
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, cartography, or closely related field
- 2+ years of relevant experience in GIS technology, cartography, or a related field
- 1+ years experience in the management of GIS projects
- Knowledge of GIS software, AutoCAD, and related technologies
- Ability to perform
Company Name is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We understand that a diverse and inclusive team is key to success and we encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of perspectives and experiences.