Laboratory Manager Job Description
laboratory manager job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Laboratory Manager Job Description
A laboratory manager is responsible for all aspects of running and supervising laboratory operations.
They oversee an organization’s scientists, researchers, technicians, and graduate students.
Most laboratory managers have a bachelor’s degree in chemistry or biology and a Master of Business Administration (MBA).
A laboratory manager directs laboratory operations and evaluates the work of others.
Laboratory managers plan and schedule work schedules, budget, and inventory laboratory supplies.
They monitor lab equipment for performance, cleanliness, and usage.
Depending on an organization’s size and needs, a laboratory manager may also supervise quality assurance (QA) and maintenance departments.
We’re looking for a Laboratory Manager who will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the laboratory. The Laboratory Manager will oversee the work of the laboratory technicians and ensure that all safety procedures are followed. The Laboratory Manager will also be responsible for ordering supplies and keeping the laboratory organized.
Laboratory Manager Duties:
- Manage the Cleaning and Analytical Laboratories and Personnel
- Ensure that Laboratories meet OSHA, EPA, and CDC standards and regulations
- Ensure that Laboratories contain equipment and instruments required to conduct analysis
- Perform routine analysis of laboratory results to ensure quality standards are met
- Obtain equipment and supplies needed to maintain Laboratory operation
- Once a laboratory has been calibrated, perform regular calibrations
- Ensure that Laboratory records are complete, clear, and accurate
- Preparing laboratory documents, reports, and records to meet internal and external requirements
- Recruit, hire, and train Laboratory personnel
- Investigating and reporting all accidents, injuries, and deaths that occur while conducting Laboratory work
- Establish and maintain Laboratory safety guidelines
- Proactively identify, mitigate, and track recurring compliance issues
- Develop new Laboratory policies and procedures
Laboratory Manager Responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of technicians and scientists to ensure lab is clean and organized at all times
- Track daily lab supplies and equipment, order replacements, and perform inventory counts
- Train staff on new lab procedures and equipment
- Maintain and update electronic and paper lab notebooks and reports
- Find, hire, and train lab personnel, including students
- Maintain a clean, safe work environment, comply with safety policies, and dispose of waste according to local, state, and federal regulations
- Manage project budgets, including ordering equipment and supplies, ordering consumables, and tracking costs
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of new lab equipment and procedures, and attend conferences, seminars, and trade shows
- Work closely with the HR department to recruit, hire, train, and terminate lab personnel
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological/Environmental Science or related field
- 5+ years’ laboratory management experience
- Ability to develop organization-wide laboratory management policies
- Ability to strategically plan and manage budget
- Strong understanding of federal and state regulations
- Strong organizational project management skills
Company Name is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity and inclusion is key to building a strong and successful team. We encourage applications from all people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals.