Medical Coder Job Description
medical coder job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Medical Coder Job Description
A medical coder or a medical biller is a person who reads medical documents and bills insurance companies for services rendered by healthcare providers.
Medical coders are typically employed by hospitals, private physicians’ offices, and insurance companies.
They often work in hospitals or clinics while billers work in an office environment.
Medical coders analyze medical records and bill codes to identify appropriate medical treatment.
They can then create codes that tell what services the healthcare provider provided to the patient.
A medical coder will then assign each code a numeric value.
Each code will have a corresponding billing range for services.
We’re looking for a Medical Coder to join our team. As a Medical Coder, you will be responsible for reviewing medical records and coding them according to established guidelines. This is a great opportunity for someone who is detail-oriented and has a passion for helping others.
Medical Coder Duties:
- Conducts medical coding, including abstracting, coding, and billing for providers.
- Reviews patient chart for medical necessity, therapeutic documentation.
- Develops and maintains coding and auditing standards.
- Robust in both individual and team settings.
- Provides input to senior management regarding coding issues and trends.
- Conducts research and analysis to estimate coding requirements.
- Conducts audits and reviews coding practices performed by others.
- Provides specialized coding support to physicians, hospitals, and other healthcare entities.
- Performs other duties as required.
Medical Coder Responsibilities:
- Obtain and code diagnoses and procedures using ICD-9 and/or CPT, in accordance with current coding guidelines.
- Review and audit medical office records, including patients’ charts, EOBs, attachments, and imaging reports, to assign appropriate diagnostic and procedural codes.
- Prepare ICD-9 and CPT billing and coding reports for submission to outside companies, payers, and governmental agencies.
- Complete ICD-9 and CPT billing and coding reports using proprietary software.
- Validate routing of compliance, accuracy, and efficiency of medical coding and billing.
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration or a related field.
- 2+ years’ experience in medical coding; knowledge of CPT, ICD, and HCPCS coding systems.
- Experience in hospital coding preferred.
- Knowledge of medical insurance and billing procedures.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
At [Company Name], we are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals.