NICU Nurse Job Description
nicu nurse job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
NICU Nurse Job Description
A neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is a specialized nursery for premature babies, infants, and toddlers who are ill or injured.
They are cared for in a department separate from a hospital’s regular nursery.
The NICU nurse cares for the babies in the unit.
The nurse ensures that the infant’s needs are met and monitors their medical status.
The nurse discusses care with the paired neonatologist, who is actually the doctor in charge of caring for the infant in the unit.
The nurse is also responsible for ensuring that the infants meet all the requirements for discharge.
Neonatal intensive care unit nurses hold two advanced degrees, and they have completed at least three years of
We’re looking for an experienced NICU nurse to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with premature and sick infants and their families, and will be able to provide the highest level of care. If you have the necessary skills and experience, we encourage you to apply today.
NICU Nurse Duties:
- Provide specialized nursing care to infants and family members
- Maintain confidentiality of patient records
- Provide specialized care, support, and education to infants and their families
- Discuss patient’s status with physician on a regular basis
- Assist physicians with procedures
- Assist patients with daily care and daily laboratory procedures
- Perform light housekeeping duties, such as changing linens, and washing floors
- Maintain patient’s room in accordance with standards and procedures
- Assist with patient assessment
- Perform physical exams
- Perform electrocardiograms, pulse oximetry, and urinalyses
- Organize, maintain, and update medical records
- Perform other duties as assigned
NICU Nurse Responsibilities:
- 2+ years of experience in a NICU or similar setting
- Knowledge of neonatal care experience
- Knowledge of hospital systems and processes
- Proven ability to coordinate patient care and communicate effectively with team members
- Excellent critical thinking skills
Requirements And Skills:
- Assist in all areas of patient care, including assessing patient needs, assisting with daily care, and monitoring patient progress
- Develop individualized treatment plans in collaboration with physicians and parents
- Inform patients and families of test results and information about care plan, including what to expect during admission, discharge, and follow-up care
- Implement treatment plans through administering medications, providing treatments, and assisting parents with personal care
- Maintain accurate medical records and reports
- Assist with phlebotomy, IVs, and other diagnostic and therapeutic measures
- Assist with basic procedures and equipment maintenance
- Perform other duties as assigned, including performing patient and family interviews
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Company Name values diversity and is committed to building an inclusive team. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.