Optometrist Job Description
optometrist job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Optometrist Job Description
An optometrist is an eye doctor who has undergone specialized eye care training and is licensed to practice optometry.
Optometrists spend four years in optometry school and then an additional four years in advanced residency specialized training.
Optometrists are familiar with the human eyeball, and are able to diagnose and treat eye diseases and injuries.
Optometrists conduct sight tests, prescribe corrective lenses, and fit cataract surgery patients.
Optometrists should not be confused with ophthalmologists, who are eye doctors who have undergone more extensive training.
Ophthalmologists are the doctors that perform eye surgery and refer patients to optometrists for vision correction
We’re looking for an Optometrist to work with us in our practice. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Diagnose, treat, and manage patients with eye disorders, diseases, and injuries
- Provide routine vision and eye health examinations
- Assisting in diagnosis and treatment of more complex eye disorders, diseases, and injuries
- Advise patients on proper eye care and hygiene
- Train others in proper eye care techniques
- Prepare and submit patient treatment plans, records, and reports
- Advise patients on proper eye wear and protective eyewear
- Stay abreast of current professional literature, technology, and techniques used in ophthalmology
- Schedule and conduct eye exams for patients
- Direct contact with patients, explain vision correction options, and help select frames and lenses; conduct vision screenings
- Perform refraction testing and manual optical measurements
- Supervise work performed by ophthalmic technicians and assistants
- Route and process insurance claims
- Assist with product selection and selection scheduling
- Answer phones, greet customers, and process sales transactions
- Provide visual eye examinations and diagnoses
- Perform other related duties as required
Requirements And Skills:
- Must have current license, registration, or certification from the appropriate state board of optometry or national board of optometry
- 3+ years experience in an optometric practice
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
At Company Name, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. We are committed to building a team that is reflective of the communities we serve and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and are dedicated to providing equal opportunity for all.