Patent Lawyer Job Description
patent lawyer job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Patent Lawyer Job Description
A patent lawyer, also called a patent agent or patent attorney, is an attorney who practices patent law.
A patent lawyer specializes in preparing and prosecuting patent applications, and advising clients on patent strategy and licensing.
The majority of patent attorneys are in private practice, although there are non-practicing attorneys and patent agents who work for the government.
We’re looking for a Patent Lawyer to join our team. The ideal candidate will have experience in patent law and be able to work with clients to help them protect their inventions. If you’re interested in joining our team, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patent Lawyer Duties:
- Identify areas in which technology can be patented, doing research in these fields and contacting potential inventors
- Become fluent in patent law and marketing
- Acquire patents on new products that align with the mission and vision of the company
- Develop intellectual property plans which maximize the company’s patents
- Develop budgets for patent acquisitions and patent maintenance
- Oversee attorneys and prepare them for meetings with clients
- Assist with patent litigation when necessary
- Assist in building the company’s patent portfolio
- Work with company founders to patent products which benefit the company and the community
Patent Lawyer Responsibilities:
- Prepare and prosecute U.S. patent applications, including conducting prior art searches and preparing the patent application, including drafting and filing foreign patent applications
- Acquire and evaluate patent rights, including avoiding or defending against patent infringement claims
- Work with other attorneys on patent prosecution, litigation, and licensing matters, and prepare legal opinions as needed
- Prepare and maintain files of research and development, patent, trademark, and copyright documents
- Write and revise patent and trademark descriptions and claims, and conduct prior art searches
- Prepare licensing and settlement agreements
- Participate in litigation, including preparing legal pleadings, attending hearings, and interviewing witnesses
- Withdraw patents from issued state, U.S., and foreign patents
Requirements And Skills:
- At least 2 years of experience in IP law
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of US patent law, including patent law fundamentals, patent law procedures, and patent law practice
- Knowledge of patent search and patent examination
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven working experience
We at [Company Name] believe that a diverse and inclusive team is key to success. We therefore encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders and ages, as well as veterans and individuals.