Purchasing Agent Job Description
purchasing agent job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Purchasing Agent Job Description
A purchasing agent is an individual who negotiates contracts for products or services on behalf of a company.
Purchasing agents help companies purchase goods, such as raw materials, components, or parts for their goods and services.
Purchasing agents also manage the operational side of purchasing, including ordering, maintaining inventory levels, reporting, and auditing.
Purchasing agents are often certified through the United States Federal Acquisition Service as a contracting officer.
The purchasing operations of an organization are divided into three major parts, which include procurement, logistics, and supply chain management.
Procurement is the acquisition of good, services, and materials in order to supply an organization.
We’re looking for a Purchasing Agent who can help us save money on the products and services we need. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the marketplace and be able to negotiate favorable terms with suppliers. If you have the skills and experience we’re looking for, we’d love to hear from you.
Purchasing Agent Duties:
- Oversee all purchasing operations, including making market research, negotiating and purchasing supplies, tools, and equipment
- Read and assess bids, proposals, and requests for proposals
- Secure supplies, tools, and equipment at the best pricing available
- Develop new vendors when needed
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships
- Prepare expense reports, purchase orders, bill of materials, and other related documents
- Manage inventory to ensure adequate stock levels
- Review, approve, sign, and process invoices
- Maintain accurate, complete, and current records of all purchasing
Purchasing Agent Responsibilities:
- Interpret RFQs and RFPs (requests for qualifications/requests proposals) in request for proposal and request for quotation documents, and propose solutions to purchasing manager
- Research and evaluate options for materials, parts, tools, equipment, professional services, and other requirements, and select the lowest-cost provider
- Negotiate pricing and other terms, and ensure suppliers meet specifications and quality standards
- Maintain an arsenal of vendor contacts and continually review their performance
- Create procurement plans, forecasts, and budgets
- Implement safety, environmental, and other policies and procedures
- Ensure that materials, parts, tools, equipment, and other requirements are received when needed, and that shipments arrive on-time and in proper condition
- Create purchase orders, review invoices, and process returned materials
- Assisting in requisitioning, purchasing, and inventory/supply
Requirements And Skills:
- Proven experience in purchasing or procurement role
- Strong working knowledge of purchasing, budgeting, and financial terms
- Proven skill in analyzing data and identifying issues
- Knowledge of market pricing, and ability to understand and comply with federal/state/local laws and regulations
- Excellent communication
At [Company Name], we are an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders and ages, as well as veterans and individuals.