Zookeeper Job Description
zookeeper job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Zookeeper Job Description
The zookeeper is a specialized role in the zoo that cares for and protects the animals that live at the zoo.
The zookeeper generally works in the zoo’s enclosure area.
The cage or enclosure where the animals live is referred to as the aviary, zoo, or animal house.
The zookeeper is responsible for the cleanliness of his or her cage and he or she is educated about zoo diseases.
The zookeeper also educates the public about animal behavior and husbandry.
The zookeeper is also responsible for maintaining and ordering food for the animals.
He or she also looks after the animals’ health.
We’re looking for Zookeeper to help us take care of our animals. You’ll need to be able to work with all kinds of animals, from lions to monkeys. If you’re interested in this job, please let us know.
- Maintain animal enclosures, including animal health, feeding, and veterinary needs
- Train zookeepers and staff on animal behavior, health, training, and proper care
- Communicate with zookeepers and staff on animal, facility, and maintenance needs
- Keep records on animal demographics, feeding, and health
- Use effective animal handling and restraint techniques
- Coordinate daily and weekly inspections of animal enclosures
- Control and monitor animal waste and odor
- Train new staff and conduct animal evaluations
- Train, condition, and provide enrichment for captive animals including primates, big cats, and reptiles
- Correct or improve enclosures based on behavioral assessments of the animals
- Provide nutritional, medical, and behavioral care to zoo animals
- Maintain animal records, and submit to administrative manager all animal health information such as injuries, illnesses, and births
- Supervise animal handlers in obtaining, transporting, and recording information about animals
- Maintain all safety equipment and comply with all health, safety, and environmental regulations
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology or related field
- Knowledge of animal care techniques
- Ability to train new employees
- Ability to maintain appropriate animal populations
- Knowledge of animal housing, feeding, veterinary care and enrichment
- Knowledge of local animal and plant populations
At [Company Name], we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success as an organization. We are committed to building a team that reflects our diverse range of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages.