Veterinarian Job Description
veterinarian job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Veterinarian Job Description
A veterinarian is a medical doctor that specializes in the care of animals.
Veterinarians must complete a four-year veterinary college and three-year residency program, although many veterinarians choose to extend their training with an additional year of specialty training.
Many small animal veterinarians and horse doctors perform surgeries.
Some veterinarians provide shelter and care for injured and abandoned animals.
Many also assist the public in understanding animal-related health issues related to pets, farm animals, wildlife, and the environment.
In the United States, veterinarians can practice medicine with state licensure, but may also choose to practice with specialty certification.
We’re looking for a Veterinarian to come and work at our animal hospital. We have a wide variety of animals that need medical attention and we would love to have a Veterinarian on our team to help us provide the best care possible.
- Provide veterinary care based on established veterinary standards, laws, and regulations
- Gather, analyze, and interpret information regarding animal health, conducting physical examinations and diagnostic tests
- Develop treatment plans for individual cases, determining the best course of action based on test results, animal condition, and owner preferences
- Implement treatment plans and follow-up as needed to ensure animal health
- Provide client education and counseling regarding animal health, diet, and care
- Maintain accurate and complete medical and financial records
- Evaluate and treat animal illnesses
- Attend continuing education courses
- Work a flexible schedule to accommodate client needs
- Formulate and implement animal health policies and programs
- Serve as a trusted source of information for veterinary staff regarding animal health protocols
- Coordinate the implementation of animal health protocols, including vaccinations, and hygienic practices
- Train and supervise veterinary technicians and other veterinary staff
- Analyze animal health data and trends, and suggest and implement programs to address health needs
- Prepare and deliver presentations on animal health protocols
- Work with marketing, business development, and other professional departments on animal health strategies
- Attend meetings and workshops on animal health issues
- Support the Veterinary Business Development Manager with veterinary marketing services
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, licensing requirements, and company policies
- Develop and maintain relationships with state animal health agencies, and provide veterinary education to animal health personnel
Requirements And Skills:
- 4+ years’ work experience in veterinary medicine
- Extensive knowledge of veterinary practice management, veterinary medical ethics and procedures, and animal nutrition
- Knowledge of veterinary diagnostic and surgical procedures, and of veterinary medicine and practices
- Ability to perform local anesthetic and surgical procedures
At [Company Name], we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success as a business. We are committed to building a team that reflects this belief, and we encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.