Fashion Designer Job Description
fashion designer job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Fashion Designer Job Description
A fashion designer, also called a “designer,” is the individual who creates fashion designs.
A designer’s expertise may be in clothing, accessories, footwear, or interiors.
A designer may work for one or more fashion houses, which are responsible for developing and promoting a designer’s products.
The designer may design for a particular season, an ad campaign, or for a particular client.
We’re looking for a Fashion Designer to help us create the next line of clothes for our store. We want someone who is creative and has a good eye for detail. If you think you have what it takes, then we’d love to hear from you!
Fashion Designer Duties:
- Develop and design women’s and men’s fashion apparel, coordinating with suppliers to ensure product availability
- Produce technical specifications for product development
- Provide input regarding fashion trends and body shapes to staff for product design
- Develop layouts and patterns for products
- Assist in development of product specifications
- Develop designs by directing the creation of sketches
- Assist with creating samples
- Oversee sales efforts
- Provide input to marketing strategies
- Familiarize with sourcing, production, and marketing
- Maintain confidentiality about company’s products, customers, and employees
- Produce trend reports and market analyses
- Familiarize with sewing and construction processes
- Oversee quality control and testing on products
- Assist with meeting deadlines
- Maintain an organized, clean, and sanitary work environment
Fashion Designer Responsibilities:
- Research and develop original apparel concepts for women, men, and children, in compliance with established brand standards, fashion trends, and material sourcing efforts
- Understand brand/customer/product/market trends, and incorporate them into garment designs
- Design, develop, and produce original apparel and accessories, including fit, quality, and functionality
- Create fit and fabrication models; select appropriate materials, fabrics, trims, and embellishments according to brand guidelines, current trends, market insights, and seasonal adjustments
- Develop color palettes for apparel and accessories, and incorporate them into garment designs
- Develop costing models, including standard and non-standard inventory, and calculate labor, materials, and overhead costs
- Develop frequent reports for project tracking and management
- Develop and identify sourcing strategies
- Understand, follow, and enforce safety standards and regulations
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in fashion design, merchandising, or related field
- 2+ years experience in a professional clothing design position
- Excellent understanding of commercial sizing
- Knowledge of textile care
- Experience in garment construction
- Knowledge of pattern drafting, and pattern alteration
At [Company Name], we believe that diversity and inclusion are crucial to success. We are committed to building a team that reflects a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, nationalities, genders, gender expressions, and ages. We also welcome veteran and disability applications.