Marine Mechanic Job Description
marine mechanic job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Marine Mechanic Job Description
A marine mechanic is a person who specializes in maintaining, repairing, and upgrading commercial vessels.
Marine mechanics, also called shipwrights, typically work on large, commercial boats such as cruise ships, container ships, and naval ships.
Marine mechanics may also work on smaller vessels, such as fishing boats and sailboats.
Marine mechanics are licensed by individual states, but must typically pass a maritime and general engineering examination.
Marine mechanics typically learn their skills through an apprenticeship or on-the-job training.
Marine mechanics may work at sea or in shipyards, depending on the scope of their work.
We’re looking for a Marine Mechanic to work on our boat. We need someone who is experienced and knows how to fix engines.
Marine Mechanic Duties:
- Maintain proper operation of equipment, machinery, or mechanical devices, including engines, pumps, mechanical equipment, or electro-mechanical devices
- Investigate malfunctioning equipment, machinery, or mechanical devices to determine source of failure
- Replace or repair parts, using hand tools and power tools, including hoists, jacks, wrenches, and screwdrivers
- Diagnose mechanical problems with electrical and electronic components, using electrical test equipment
- Arrange for maintenance and repair of equipment, machinery, or mechanical devices
- Develop operating and maintenance procedures for equipment, machinery, or mechanical devices
- Design, test, and supervise installation of mechanical or electro-mechanical devices, using computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Develop specifications or procedures and prepare construction blueprints and drawings
- Develop specifications for equipment, machinery, or mechanical devices
Marine Mechanic Responsibilities:
- Work with marine professionals to repair and maintain sterndrives, inboard and outboard motors, jet drives, I/O drives, stern gear, seals and hoses, and propellers
- Install, repair, modify, or maintain diesel engines, fuel systems, hydraulic systems, electrical and electronics systems, and marine powertrains
- Perform routine preventative maintenance
- Train workers and others in the use of tools, equipment, and safety procedures
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors
- Attend and participate in networking events and seminars
- Assist with product demonstration presentations and demonstrations
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in technical or applied sciences
- 3+ years’ proven experience in a marine repair facility
- Knowledge of engine systems
- Knowledge of boat systems and components
- Knowledge of mechanical principles and their application to marine systems
[Company Name] is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to building a strong and successful team. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.