Medical Scribe Job Description
medical scribe job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Medical Scribe Job Description
A medical scribe is a person trained in medical terminology who reads and transcribes patient medical records.
A medical scribe is a trained professional who sits with the physician during a medical examination and records notes from the examination.
The scribe generally does not take part in the examination.
The scribe’s responsibility is to listen to the examination, prepare detailed notes, and gather information for patients’ medical records.
Scribes typically read the physician’s examination, interview the patient, record vital signs, and document treatment.
They also transcribe the physician’s notes into the patient’s medical record.
We’re looking for a Medical Scribe to join our team. The ideal candidate will have experience in a medical setting and be able to take accurate and detailed notes. If you are a motivated individual with a passion for helping others, we want to hear from you!
Medical Scribe Duties:
- Act as first point of contact for patients, patients’ family members, and/or other medical staff
- Obtain medical history from patients, families, and office staff
- Assist physicians in treating patients
- Perform some clerical job duties such as typing, filing, and copying
- Perform clerical duties such as taking phone messages, scheduling appointments, and answering phones
- Perform interviews to determine patient information and medical history
- Record, transcribe, and file patient information
- Perform other duties that may be required from time to time
Medical Scribe Responsibilities:
- Assist physicians in gathering medical histories, updating medical records, and dictating orders
- Complete intake and progress reports, insurance authorizations, and other documentation
- Follow physician instructions regarding lab and imaging tests, medications, and treatment
- Perform routine clerical duties, including answering phones, filing, and scheduling appointments
- Ensure that physicians adhere to HIPAA regulations regarding electronic, written, and verbal communications
- Perform other clerical responsibilities as needed
- Ensure that each patient is fully informed and feels comfortable with the process
- Maintain patient confidentiality and patient privacy at all times
- Follow standard safety practices, including wearing reflective safety vests, safety glasses, earplugs, and proper footwear
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree; other healthcare-related degrees and/or certifications a plus
- 1-3 years’ healthcare experience preferred
- Strong desire to learn and grow
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including Saturday and Sunday hours
- Proven attention to detail a must
At Company Name, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and are committed to building a team that reflects the communities we serve. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, , , gender expressions, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.