County Clerk Job Description
county clerk job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
County Clerk Job Description
A county clerk is elected by voters and is responsible for recording and filing legal documents, issuing marriage licenses, and other local and overall clerical functions.
Some county clerks are responsible for keeping records on voting activities.
Other county clerks serve as election officers, and they may be responsible for ensuring that polling places and voting hours are in compliance with voter law.
Clerks of court also perform essential clerical work.
These judges act as members of a court, and they typically (but not always) preside over criminal trials.
Clerks of court are responsible for arranging court trials and for recording and filing court documents.
We’re looking for a County Clerk who is detail-oriented and organized. The County Clerk will be responsible for maintaining records, issuing licenses, and performing other administrative tasks.
County Clerk Duties:
- Attend to duties of appointing, certifying and registering county officers, state officers, judges, and clerks of circuit court
- Create and maintain registries of deeds, mortgages, and liens, real property records, and marriage licenses
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for real estate transactions
- Maintain office procedures and records
- Develop and update administrative policies and procedures
- Maintain records and documentation
- Develop and update electronic information systems
- Control office budget
- Provide information to the public
County Clerk Responsibilities:
- Maintain records for all county, township, and village officials’ actions, including swearing in of officials and board members, filing and processing of documents, and coordination with circuit court clerks
- Record and maintain minutes of proceedings and resolutions for all governing bodies
- Record, store, and maintain all official documents of county, township, and village organizations
- Prepare, maintain, and update election supplies, equipment, and procedures
- Procure and maintain office supplies and equipment for County Clerk’s office
- Procure, stock, and distribute food for committee meetings
- Test and maintain security equipment
- Provide clerical support for county officials
- Provide clerical support for special meetings
- Provide clerical support for the courts
- Assist the public with administrative concerns
- Assist residents with information
- Retain and dispose of records for the county
- Provide monthly reports on usage
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- 3 years’ proven experience in an administrative or executive support or management position
- Excellent communication, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and handle multiple assignments
- Strong working knowledge of general business software such as Microsoft Office
Our company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that building a diverse and inclusive team is essential to our success. We encourage applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.