Editor in Chief Job Description
editor in chief job description includes a detailed overview of the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills for this role.
Editor in Chief Job Description
A editor in chief (EIC), also called the editor in chief (EIC) or chief editor, is the head of a publication, such as a newspaper, magazine, website, or other type of media.
The editor in chief of a newspaper or magazine is the top editor in charge of content.
Editors-in-chief typically solicit stories, edit and rewrite articles, and oversee the layout.
They may also hire other editors, assign reporters, and oversee another editor’s decisions.
The editor in chief of a website or other type of media is usually in charge of all content published on the site or media.
We’re looking for a qualified Editor in Chief to lead our editorial team. The ideal candidate will have experience managing a team of editors and writers, and will be able to create and oversee editorial content across all platforms. The Editor in Chief will be responsible for ensuring that our content is accurate, timely, and engaging, and will work closely with our sales and marketing teams to ensure that our content strategy aligns with our business goals.
Editor in Chief Duties:
- Provide editorial leadership and guidance to ensure the quality of editorial content
- Develop editorial strategies, policies, and procedures that will assist in maintaining and increasing traffic to the site
- Conduct research and reporting on subject areas, trends and topics
- Develop and grow relationships with key industry contacts, including writers and reporters
- Maintain a consistent, professional presence that exemplifies the organization’s image
- Develop and maintain relationships with affiliate partners
- Develop and implement strategies to promote the site’s content and brand, including through social media
- Develop and implement content guidelines and policies that will ensure consistent, high-quality content
- Create and lead an editorial calendar, including high-quality content
- Ensure that all editorial content adheres to brand guidelines
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date lists, schedules, and records of articles, writers, and contributions
- Ensure accurate, timely, and safe backup and archiving of content
Editor in Chief Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage editorial calendar, working with team to propose changes, and ensure content is posted on time
- Develop editorial guidelines and policies; edit for grammar, spelling, and style
- Manage editorial staff, assigning tasks such as writing articles, editing content, and conducting market research
- Identify opportunities for additional revenue streams and collaborate with business development team to explore them
- Review, edit, and review content for grammar, spelling, and style, as well as source links, images, and videos
- Manage and support tech team to address any technical issues related to the website
- Research and select featured content, as well as create content leads for writers
Requirements And Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or related field
- 3+ years experience in editing and writing
- Superior knowledge of AP style
- Ability to write clear, concise, and accurate copy
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills; proficient with MS Word and Excel
“Equal opportunity is at the core of our company’s values. We are committed to creating a workplace where everyone feels included and respected. We believe that diversity makes us stronger and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, races, religions, nationalities, genders, and ages.”